Friday, January 16, 2009

I have a confession to make.

I am not a good cook. Can I still be a good mom if I don't make things from scraps?

I once made a chocolate cake following the directions perfectly and forgot one thing...the flour. Now the recipe said the batter would be runny so I thought nothing of it when I popped my cake pan of chocolate soup in the oven and let it bake. But it didn't set up like a cake should, it actually turned into dark chocolate soup with burnt chocolate edging all the way around the pan. That wasn't going to stop me though so I let it bake for another half hour...not pretty.

What leads me to this post is that tonight I wanted something sweet. What I really wanted is Molten Chocolate Cake but as you can see from the example above I am not cut out to be making this recipe. I have chocolate chip cookie dough in the fridge - pre-made by someone other than me. I should warn you when I make ANY kind of cookie from scraps it turns out much like a pancake, light and fluffy. I have no idea what I do wrong but it's been that way since I moved out of my parents house. So anyway surely I can't mess up the pre-made cookie dough right? WRONG. In my defense the word "heaping" is in the directions. I made four cookies on the cookie sheet and what I pulled out of the oven was more of a thin cookie cake that covered the entire cookie sheet. I said "oh no" and had Nate come look and he started laughing and said it was ok that I am not a good cook. I laughed and cried at the same time because I am just miserable at cooking but most of all I just want a cookie and it's 10:30 at night.

7 comments:

Thomas said...

You know what?? If I lived closer I would keep you stocked up in cookies. I love to bake and so does Madi. Hey, start checking your mailbox next week.....I think you deserve some yummy homebaked cookies form here in my North Dakota kitchen. Smile!! We are all in this together.

Kerry said...

LOL you make me smile! Im glad someone else can mess up pre-baked cookies.

Practice does make perfect though, well thats what people keep telling me,lol.

The Bergstedt's said...

Go Geralyn. I do not love to bake, but i do know that you can cut those cookies hot out of the oven. Even use cookie cutters if you want. Also, when they say place 2 inches apart, they mean 2 whole inches.

Kristi said...

Thank Gail truly but trust me when I say there was no cutting these cookies with cookie cutters...a chainsaw maybe.

I am hopeless in the kitchen.

Kerry- In my case practice does not make perfect so I would quit trying and just go for pre-cooked everything... ;-) We would be a pair in the kitchen making a Thanksgiving dinner wouldn't we? :-) We really are gonna have to consider that next year!

Kristi said...

Geralyn- Homemade cookies sound WONDERFUL!!! I wish we did live closer I would drop in at your house right around dinner time everyday ;-) We eat out far too much at our house.

Tifanni said...

If God would have wanted me to cook, he wouldn't have invented all the yummy food that comes in a bag from Costco. :)
Lucky for me, my hubby is one heck of a cook. Maybe he can send some cookies down your way :)

Kerry said...

we will have such a great time cooking thanks giving dinner together! Maybe we should have a few pizza's in the freezer just in case.

I think we should do that next year!!!