Friday, March 7, 2008

Q & A Free For All

Ok ok ok I give already. If you have any questions relating to our adoption this is the place for it! I have been asked a million times over some questions, all very good questions I might add. So here it is feel free to ask more if you dare...

NEW!!! Awesome question from my awesome sister in law:
Did we get to choose an age for our baby?

Yes we sure did, the creche, I think houses kids up to the age of 7. (Correct me if I'm wrong adoptive mom's) We asked for a child infant to two years old at the time of referral.

Why did we choose Haiti?

Well we found Haiti sort of randomly we originally thought Mexico was a natural pick for us because we love Mexico, but the adoption program between the US and Mexico didn't seem real strong or predictable so we thought Guatemala was where our baby was but alas the fees for the Guatemala program were just a little more than our itty bitty budget could handle then we found Haiti and fell absolutely head over heals in love with Haiti and now the rest is history.

Why don't we adopt a child within the United States?

We have decided that choosing a country to adopt from is a very very intensely personal choice and after some incredibly tough times with a family adoption in the US and learning A LOT about adoption laws in the US we decided it was not for us.

How much does it cost?

First I want to make it clear that adoption is not about buying a child in any way shape or form. Yes we have paid many costs for adoption services such as our home study, our paperwork, our doctors testing, and our psychological evaluation. By the way YES we both passed. Fee's vary greatly between countries and adoption agencies so if you are interested in adopting I would highly recommend you research it well. You can never research adoption enough.

Did we get to pick the sex of our baby?

Yes, that is one of the lovely perks of surviving the torrential storm of paperwork, the self inflicted wounds from the home study, the anxiety attacks caused by the "evaluation"....
BUT we did not choose we would absolutely love any baby girl or boy that came to us so we said we did not care and that is how our little boy found us. Maybe next time we will pick!!???


When will he be home?

To be honest we have no idea when Kobe will come home. We've resorted to making up some month to answer the question but in reality there is no telling. So kindly refer to our adoption checklist to the right. And trust me you will know well actually the WHOLE WORLD will know when Kobe is coming home. Thanks to my (Kristi) big mouth.


So now it's YOUR turn to ask us a question....come on what are you waiting for nothing is off limits...well unless I choose not to answer it!

6 comments:

Melissa said...

My questions for you;

Can we call him Little Lou because I have already gone with that.

I don't see why it has to take so long, I mean, these kids need a home....yada yada kidding.

I love your blog!!!

Kerry said...

hi did you get to choose the rough age of your child?

Kerry said...

ok 1 more question, can you ask the aunties to call him Kobe?

Nate & Kristi said...

Melissa- Little Lou does have a ring to it...but I think I still like Kobe better.

About how long it takes yeah I know this one lady and her husband I think they have been waiting an eternity but just got their kids passports...oh wait thats you!!! hahaha! Cheers to your kids coming home this month!!!!!!! (Fingers and toes are crossed)

Nate & Kristi said...

Kerry- We can ask the auntie's to call him Kobe but I can't guarantee they will. He doesn't really know who this Kobe kid is nor does he know just how stinkin' cute this Kobe kid is!!! haha!

Your other question I'm adding to the blog post :)

Kerry said...

Im glad i had a great question, its a very good idea to have a free for all, im sure you get the same questions all the time.

I will speak to you soon, im off to England tomorrow.