Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Wednesday in Haiti - Part One

On Wednesday morning I again woke up to the beautiful (handsome) smile of my baby. There really is nothing like being a mom even if only for a week. He and I had some breakfast and then I passed him off to the aunties for a bath and fresh clothes. While he was taking his bath and playing with his friends Nate and I went on an ox cart ride. It was interesting - surely something not to be missed.





This one is of a house with a solar panel on it. I found it ironic that they don't have electricity through much of Haiti but so many people have cell phones. His business was charging people's cell phones...smart man he is.



The market was packed with people, it was so much fun. So many of the people smiled and said "Bonjou" to us - which is "good morning". Overall I found the Haitian people to be very sweet and welcoming to us, especially at the creche their hospitality was second to none. They went above and beyond to make us comfortable. We were told over and over that we are now family. It was an awesome experience.



We saw some children walking on the road to the village school that was set up at Mommy Duncan's - Madame Coindy told them in Kreyol to hustle they would be late and the gate would be shut so the older girl was picking up the younger girl in this picture and they ran off down the road to get to school.



When we got back to the creche - sweet Little Lou colored the most beautiful materpiece for me - and made a huge mess of the huge box of crayons.



We also fingerpainted - it was so fun. I have handprints and footprints to frame and I kept his little onesie that had paint all over it.



Thank goodness for non-toxic fingerpaint. He never actually got to lick it off his hand, much to his dismay.

That's all for now, I have more of Wednesday to come....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh come on...the suspense is awful! Although I've heard of some of your trip, I can't wait to read more. I still think my first Grandchild is the cutest in the world! How lucky for him to have you and you to have him.

Ashlee said...

This is just awesome. Such a tender story. I love it! Hes such a cute kid. I bet he loved every sec. having his parents close. I bet you miss him tons!

Kerry said...

Ive been waiting for this, what a great story. Its sounds like you were busy every minute. I love the idea of you keeping his one piece that he painted in over his art work, how cute.